2014 Xanadu Cabernet Sauvignon

Regular price $39.99 Sale

The 2014 Xanadu Cabernet Sauvignon exhibits vibrant, characteristic aromas of cassis, mulberries, and black plums entwined with hints of cinnamon, nori, and potpourri.

VITICULTURE
VARIETAL Cabernet Sauvignon (86%) Malbec (10%) Petit Verdot (4%)
VINTAGE 2014
REGION Margaret River

GROWING CONDITIONS
The 2014 vintage was built on a sound foundation of sub-soil moisture with excellent (above average) rainfall throughout the winter of 2013. The rainfall ceased almost completely from the end of November through to the end of March providing ideal growing conditions. Abundant Marri blossom leading up to, and during, harvest kept bird pressure very low, and yields were average for most varieties. In summary; 2014 was yet another excellent season, continuing the recent dream run of vintages we have had in Margaret River. Most of the fruit for this blend (70%) was sourced from two Grower vineyards in the northern sub-regions of Margaret River, with the remaining 30% being predominantly Estate-grown fruit from the Wallcliffe sub-region

TASTING NOTES
COLOUR Deep red with ruby hues.
NOSE The wine exhibits vibrant, characteristic aromas of cassis, mulberries, and black plums entwined with hints of cinnamon, nori, and potpourri.
PALATE Full-bodied yet refined, the generous palate offers a core of inky berry fruits; boysenberry, blackcurrants and Satsuma plums. Dense and well-structured, the palate is layered with these dark fleshy fruit characteristics and ripe tannins which culminate through to a persistent Cabernet finish.

WINEMAKING
ALCOHOL 14%
PH 3.57

WINEMAKING NOTES
Fruit was crushed/destemmed before predominantly small batch fermentation in a combination of static and open fermenter. Fermentation takes 7-8 days @ 24 – 26o C, during which the cap is managed using a combination of aerative pumping over as well as regular plunging by hand. After fermentation about a third of the components experienced a period of extended maceration, being left on skins for 4 weeks before a very gentle pressing. MLF takes place in a combination of tank and barrel. The wine was matured for 12 months in French oak (40% new barriques) before the blend was assembled, and then returned to older oak for a further 2 months maturation before bottling.

xanaduwines.com